Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Coastal BC Plants: Oxeye Daisy

Oxeye Daisy

When Wayne and I went quad riding on Texada Island this July, everywhere we looked there were carpets of daisies bobbing their pretty white and yellow heads.

Oxeye Daisies growing in profusion in a road cut.

The variety was Oxeye Daisies (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum). They are a member of the Chrysanthemum family and were introduced to the area as a weed from Europe. Since they have spread far and wide.


The Oxeye Daisy is a perennial plant that regenerates annually from a woody rhizome. They grow profusely in fields, meadows, roadsides, and clearings such as logging cuts at lower elevations. Leaves are found predominately at the base of the plant with a straight stalk supporting each flower head.


The young leaves are edible and very sweet, and the flowers can be used to make a wine similar to dandelion wine. These daisies may be weeds, but very beautiful ones in summer. Well I guess that is unless they aren’t taking over your hay field or pasture. -- Margy

References: Roadside Wildflowers of the Northwest by J.E. (Ted) Underhill (Hancock House, 1981), and Plants of Coastal British Columbia by Jim Pojar and Andy MacKinnon (Lone Pine, 1994).

12 comments:

  1. I didn't know they were edible, you learn something new everyday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a forager, but that's what the reference said. - Margy

      Delete
  2. I like them too. I think they are pretty with their heads bobbing in the wind. They seem to be everywhere. When we hike in the tree farm where the old logging roads are---well they are there too.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see as many here on the Powell River side. Maybe they need it an area that's a little more dry. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you didn't rant about invasive species! There are so many, and the ship has sailed. There isn't nearly as much purple loosetrife as they warned us... I just have to enjoy the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone here mentioned to be on the lookout for loosetrife. I'm not familiar with that one. - Margy

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite flowers - I just love the way they carpet the medians on the freeways and the hillsides and roadsides. I had one plant growing in my back yard and was going to get the seeds but our lawn mowing folks mowed it down - I forgot to tell them to save it for me. They are very good with the lawn - keep it spiffy and just the way I want - so I can't complain. Maybe I'll get out to the country and pick some seeds along a quiet road. Hasn't this been a great year for the daisies? I grew Shasta Daisies this year but they got about 5 feet tall and I want the shorter ones - if I don't get the seeds for the ox eyes I might stop at Lowes - I saw they had a very short variety of Shasta Daisy - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was getting flowers from boyfriends (not that goes way back) I would always ask for yellow daisies. - Margy

      Delete
  5. I love the wild oxeye daisies, ours are all finished now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just caught them in their prime. With the recent heat I'm sure these are gone as well. - Margy

      Delete
  6. give me your answer, DO!


    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm half crazy ... or maybe not. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy