Monday, December 10, 2012

Woodstove Cooking: Sauteed Kale "A Hot Mess"

Sometimes you think you invented something, only to find it elsewhere a short time later.  That's what happened with the kale dish I made on top of my cabin wood stove. My winter greens are producing well, so I though I would experiment a bit.

Sauteed Kale
Also Known as "A Hot Mess"

5 cups fresh kale
1/4 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper to taste   
1/4 cup walnuts


Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add crushed thyme leaves to release flavours. Tear kale leaves and add them a few at a time to the pan to wilt.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and water to help with the wilting process.  Add walnuts broken into pieces.  Cook uncovered until the kale is firm, but tender.

 This simple dish can be either a side dish, or a main course, depending on your mood.  Stay tuned tomorrow to find out about the newest pub in Powell River, BC.  They have a small, but interesting menu, including a small entree they call "A Hot Mess." -- Margy

2 comments:

  1. Looks good this recipe. I will try it out. A new pub sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely vegetarian meal for me to try. You are good to me xxxx

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy