Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Off the Grid Float Cabin Makes the Huffington Post

One result of the excellent video about our float cabin by Kirsten Dirksen at faircompanies.com was a call from a reporter at the online news site, the Huffington Post. After a phone interview, an article was posted at Huff/Post 50.

Off the Grid: Wayne and Margy Lutz Find a Retirement Home in a Float Cabin was written by Anthonia Akitunde. At first I was excited, but then I was shocked at some of the uncaring, and sometimes downright nasty, comments. I understand that living in a float cabin isn't for everyone, but personal attacks seemed uncalled for.

I guess I'm a bit naive about the Internet, even though I've been blogging since 2007. My world turned a bit upside down for a few days. Unlike with Kirsten's blog, I was so upset chose not to communicate back. There was one positive outcome. It opened my eyes to cyber bullying. From now on, I will be more proactive when I hear or see bullying online or in real life. -- Margy

9 comments:

  1. Ah Margy, ignore them, there are always people who can't stand anybody else's good fortune. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul, I'm OK about it now, or at least better. But it made me really think about how bullying would really affect kids, especially teens. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging can be such a pleasurable experience that I think we forget tht the internet has a much darker and destructive side. I'm sorry you encountered it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people just live to be trolls, Margy. Ignore them. You are doing what you enjoy in life. I think it is pretty neat that you were on Huff Post any way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to see some folks are not kind in the comments about your life off the grid. They were unkind and as Paul said, ignore it. I think it is wonderful and quite the learning experience for us to read about. Just take the positive over the negative on that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry as well, about the unkind comments, but I also noticed some very encouraging and enthusiastic responses to the video and article. I watched the video all the way through, and really found it fascinating. You have done an excellent job of showing the details that make your lifestyle choice possible. Good for you and Wayne. You are living your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite enjoyed that Huffinton Post article on you guys Margy. I'm quite envious. Beautiful cabin, beautiful spot. You're living the dream girl. Don't let the clowns bother you too much Margy. There are all kinds out there and I'm sure it is'nt personal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I happen to admire you guys and would love to live the life you do. We have no way of doing that so I just read your blog and look at the wonderful pictures you post. Keep up the good work and bully on the nay sayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. I've chilled quite a bit now that time has passed. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy