Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Saving the Load

Last Monday, Wayne and I were getting ready to take Pacific Coastal Airlines from Powell River back to Vancouver. It was quite a blustery day, so we weren't looking forward to a bumpy ride.

When I got up at about 8:00, I saw a tug with it's large load heading south when I got up. I assumed they were going to tie up near Grief Point and wait out the storm. When I looked out again at 11:30, the tug was struggling with its load. We had to leave before the resolution, but here is what I saw.


The tug was the Pacific Fury. The Pacific Fury was built in 1969 and is 19.32 metres in length. With her 1,440 brake horsepower engine, she can handle a gross tonnage of 118. She is one of seven vessels operated by Pacific Cachalot Ltd. out of Campbell River. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. I was out later in the day and took some snaps also, got a soaking in that wind and rain. I'll post a picture in a week or two, I'm that far ahead of myself on postings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos ~ Ocean always so powerful ~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor) Carol from WW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I've always admired those guys who tug those log booms around in stormy seas. Hope he made it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd still rather be in that tug than the plane in your previous post! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul - I look forward to seeing your pictures later in the week.

    Carol - It always amazes me that in one moment the sea can be so violent, and then the next slick as glass. If I'm headed out in a boat, I'll take smooth seas any day.

    Marion - You and me both. I can't imagine some of the nasty weather they have to contend with.

    Fran - For me it would be a toss-up. Give me calm skies and seas both.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy