Thursday, May 05, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Getting ready for spring gardening meant I needed to do some clean up first. I let my strawberry plant foliage die around the roots for mulch to protect them through the cold winter. But it makes spring cleaning quite a chore. After clearing away the dead leaves, I surrounded the surviving roots with broken egg shells to thwart a slug invasion. Unfortunately, only one of my strawberry beds survived. Grubs got to the roots of the other one.

I have two perennial asparagus beds in my garden. I usually wait until the picking season is over and the ferns are tall to build a support system. This year I wanted to have it ready for Wayne so he could easily take care of it in my absence. Some stakes (provided by the lake) and string and it was quickly done.

In addition to my perennial asparagus and strawberries, I have ongoing herbs and flowers. And I didn't have the heart to pull the remaining carrots and chard from last fall. But in the remaining space, I planted onion sets and seeds for chard, spinach, kale, lettuce and carrots. Hopefully, they will hardy enough to produce with less care and watering over the summer months. If not, at least I had the fun of trying.


I love the floating garden that our good friend John made for me. It's a unique way to keep my thumb green and my hands dirty. Gardening is good for the soul as well as the tummy. -- Margy

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place for a garden, Margy. Gorgeous!
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margy, how do you get slugs on a raft? You work so hard for your gardens. My new ones are sprouting and and have many surprises.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy