Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First Harvest

This spring I planted my floating garden in mid-March. It was a little early, and we had quite a few cool rainy days, but the sunshine last week was a real boost. Everything is becoming well established, and a few things are ready for an early harvest.

My asparagus has been in the ground several years. This year we are being rewarded with spears that are almost store-bought size. We can continue harvesting through mid-June. Then I'll let them go to fern to replenish for next year. As you can see, I already have my support structure in place ready to go.

This year I'm trying yellow onion sets. I'm really pleased so far. The bulbs have already doubled in size, and the green tops are perfect for salads. I also planted bunching onions. An advantage is they continue to produce even as you harvest. My spinach is coming along, and the new strawberries are well rooted.

Another early treat was rhubarb. This is the third year for my plants, so they are starting to produce nice large stems. We made some stewed strawberries (store bought) and rhubarb with whipped cream for dessert. Yum!

I know it's early, but if this is a taste of what's to come, it's going to be a great summer. Do you have a vegetable garden? Let us hear some of your stories. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:40 PM

    The only green I can write about is ..How I envy you your vegetable garden !! :P

    But on a serious note , vegetables can't get fresher than this !! Enjoy the fruit ..or the vegetables ..of your love and labor !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a vegetable garden, but it is in a very sorry state since time and weather have made planting difficult this spring. I think you are sheltered where youa re, while, even though much farther south, we are colder inland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to see you first set of crops coming up. There's nothing like fresh produce from the garden, tastes way better. I am going to start my garden in June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I do enjoy a bite or two of my own home produce. Last night we picked enough asparagus for two large servings each. Not sure if it is cost effective, but it's fun. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Wow...such a great garden. I planted the bunching onions this year for the first time. I love them. I'm harvesting green onion like crazy!!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy